Saturday, November 14, 2009

What's inclusion?

In the ordinary day to day life most people don't think about inclusion. So sometimes I think the term has become jargon and other common-experience type of folk have no idea what we're on about.

It does come down to some basic human needs that most people also don't have thoughts or conversations about: the feeling that you belong, that you're valued and wanted, that you have a role and relationships, you're part of what's going on. For some people the experience of being left out, overlooked or unwanted is a common experience. These people are 'marginalised' obviously, and this needs to be addressed for our communities to be a better place.

So my challenge is to see how I can connect with someone, make a new friend perhaps, employ a new staff member or just say hi in the street, to someone who may have otherwise been overlooked today. Why would I do this? I have been challenging myself to being open to receiving what others have to offer. I have found that if I don't, I might miss out on my next best friend, mentor, conversation, smile or hug. So why not.

Inclusion begins with each of us.

1 comment:

  1. Berry BinnieNovember 15, 2009

    "It does come down to some basic human needs that most people also don't have thoughts or conversations about: the feeling that you belong, that you're valued and wanted, that you have a role and relationships, you're part of what's going on. For some people the experience of being left out, overlooked or unwanted is a common experience. These people are 'marginalised' obviously, and this needs to be addressed for our communities to be a better place." Andrea F

    That certainly resonates in my community today, here in Nelson. It's almost impossible to fathom how a 22 year old, new father had to lose his life to a gunshot wound for all involved to feel their existence is validated.

    The stoush between two rival groups of youths was 6 months in the making.

    My question: how has my community, myself included left youth feeling so irrelevant that this kind of action felt profound enough for them to execute.

    ReplyDelete